Eyebrows can make or break the look of your face. It deserves more importance than we think it deserves. Perfect eyebrows not only frame the eyes but adds a polished look.
You always start beautifying a part of your body by first making it healthy:
- Eat well. A balanced nutritious diet will give you eyebrow hairs that are more resilient to damage.
- Always check for dandruff in your eyebrows (Yes! Dandruff can exist there). Dandruff causes your eyebrows to look lack lustre and also results in hair fall( from the brows)
- Give your brows a little oil massage (preferably with castor or olive oil) before you tuck in your bed at night. This will not only increase circulation and prevent hair fall but also encourage new hair growth, making your brows look thicker and fuller. (Tip: Wash an old mascara tube and fill it with castor oil. Use the mascara brush to run along the eyebrows and massage them)
- Don’t over tweeze eyebrows.
Now before you fret over how to perfect your eyebrows, know a little about which kind of eyebrow shape fits which type of face shape.
- If you have a square jaw, it can accent the angularity of your face. Soft rounded eyebrows shape are best suited for your face as it tapers down the angularity of your face.
- If you have a round face, your brows should contrast the shape of your face – you should have sharp angular eyebrow shape to define your facia bone structure. Opt for high arches always.
- If you have a very long face with your features vertically stretched out, having longer and slightly flatter eyebrows is a wise option. Extending the tails of the eyebrows to play up the horizontal features is the key. However, do not drag it too down, else the eyes will appear droopy.
- If you have a heart shaped face, you want to stay away from bold eyebrows that emphasise the upper portion of the face. Well groomed and less accentuated (less bushy) eyebrows are best suited to this type of face shape.
- If you have an oval face, congrats on having a well-proportioned one. A classic balanced eyebrow shape is ideal for this type of face shape.
Cardinal rules: These golden rules meant for perfect eyebrows to be followed regardless of your face shape or size.
- The start of your brow should always begin right at the bridge of your nose. To pinpoint the place, take a pencil and hold it vertically up to either side of the nose bone. The brow should ideally start, touching the pencil.
- Don’t go for a centred arch. It looks weird. The key is to arch your eyebrows about two thirds of the way out.
- Keep your eyebrows long. Ideally it should at least be long enough to end on an imaginary line from the corner of the nose to the corner of the eye. Eyebrow length could be extended though. Just ensure the tail of the brow does not end lower than the brow head or your eyes might look droopy. The tails should always be tapered to a sharp point.
- When shaping eyebrows it is always better to tweeze them instead of waxing them.
Also, ensure that you use clean tweezers else you might risk a bacteria breakout. (Tip: Use a warm wash cloth over your brows before you tweeze them to relax the follicles and make the process less painful and neater).
- If you have relatively flat brows and you wish to give it an arch.
Start off by drawing a straight line directing upwards on the arch using a brow pencil. Next, draw a downward facing line on the other half of the arch towards the tail. Brush the hair on the head half of the brow upwards and brush the hair on the tail half of the brow downwards. Voila! You have an arch!
- No two eyebrows are the same.
Yes! Even if both are yours. Our faces are not perfectly symmetrical and the shape of our brows slightly differ from each other. Don’t fight the natural eyebrow shape or they might risk looking fake.
Once your eyebrows are in shape, time to enhance their look with makeup. Here’s a step by step guide to do it:
Step 1: Use an eye shadow primer to prep your brows.
Step 2: Use a felt brow pen or a sharp pencil and make a vertical line at the start of the brow (.
Step 3: Carefully trace along the shape of your eyebrows using a brow pencil.
Step 4: Using a brow pencil/ brow powder/ or a brow gel, fill in your eyebrows with hair like strokes all the way to the end.
(Always ensure you use more pigment at the start of the brow to give your eyebrow a lifted and a youthful glow).
Step 5: Use an eyebrow brush or a mascara brush and gently blend till no sharp visible lines are seen.
(A genius way to do this better is by wetting the brow brush a bit, and dipping it in a brown shadow and then blend it)
Step 6: Use a highlighter/ white eye shadow and an angular brush to carefully trace just below the arch to give it more definition.
This one’s optional though.
Tip: When you are shaping eyebrows, stand at a slight distance from the mirror to give you a better picture as to how it will look.
There you go! Achieving perfect eyebrows is simpler than you think. But you could do with some quick hacks and tricks. Couldn’t you?
- Use Baby Oragel Teething Pain relief ointment on your eyebrows to help manage the pain of tweezing.
- Use a brow pencil to fill up your brows before you tweeze. That way you won’t overdo the tweezing.
- Use a spoolie brush to brush up your brow hair after you are done tweezing.
Trim any hair that is sticking out of your brow line.
- If your brow kin becomes red, swollen, or irritated, apply witch hazel on the area to soothe it. You’re welcome.
- Use eyebrow gel and brush if you are looking to volumize the brows and pencil if you prefer a more subtle look.
- To plump up extra thin eyebrows use a pomade with a brush first,
- To make your eyebrows look fancy and straight out of the salon, use a lighter colour at the head of the brow, a darker pigment at the arch and gel towards the end.
- If you hate doing the whole thing on a daily basis, you can get your eyebrows permanently pigmented. Nothing like it!
- There are even eyebrow growth serums available in the market which help regrowth of hair giving you healthier and thicker brows overtime.
- Don’t pluck your eyebrows under fluorescents. You need proper lighting. That way you will notice stray hairs better.
- Avoid magnification mirrors like plague. If you see your brows blown up three times its size, you are more likely to go berserk and over pluck. You know what we mean.
- Use a damp white eye shadow on the hair you wish to tweeze. This will make even the very fine hairs pop out making it easier for you to get neater brows.
- Your brow skin’s natural oils oxidize overtime making your eyebrow makeup look slightly warmer than what you originally started out with. It is wise therefore to use cool toned shades.
Now you have all the information under the sun to get perfectly groomed eyebrows every time. Go get you game right now!