Dandruff is a pesky issue. Also known as scurf or Pityriasis simplex capillitii, this condition can cause flakes, lead to hair fall and ruin the health of hair. It also causes itching and discomfort (sometimes even a burning sensation) and can cause embarrassment.
However, as most people believe, dandruff is not caused by poor hygiene. (What! Really?)
Then what causes dandruff ?
- Inadequate hair brushing since it does little to shed the dead skin and unclog the pores
- Sensitivity to yeast especially in warmer climates, when the UVA from the sun directly counteracts with the yeast
- Dry, lifeless scalp skin
- Seborrheic dermatitis – People who have this skin condition, often get dandruff in multiple areas of the body apart from the hair such as back of the ears, eyebrows, or even the sides of the nose
- Skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and the likes
- Certain illnesses
- Reaction to chemicals present in hair or skin care products
- Inadequate consumption of zinc and Vitamin B
- Stress fluctuations
Now that you know the causes, it time to find the solution. Wise old people recommend that you do not use chemicals to treat dandruff or you may just make it more resilient and make your scalp more prone to dandruff due to the influx of harsh detergents and oil stripping chemicals.
Effective natural home remedies can not only help relieve dandruff but also improve the quality of your hair.
So here are a few DIY Treatments for Dandruff that will work wonders for your hair:
Neem and olive oil pack:
- You will need 35 grams of dry, organic neem leaves and 4 tbsps. of olive oil.
- Crush the neem leaves using mortar and pestle till it turns to a smooth powder.
- In a cup, warm the olive oil and fold in the neem powder.
- Mix to form a paste and let the paste sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Next, apply the paste to your scalp making sure you cover the entire area. Leave the paste in your hair for another 30 minutes and then wash and condition your hair as usual.
Neem has excellent anti-fungal and anti- inflammatory properties that can help arrest dandruff and also soother an itchy, painful, and swollen scalp. Olive oil restores moisture in your scalp making recurrence of dandruff a farther possibility.
Honey and coconut scalp scrub:
You will need 2 tsps. Coconut oil, 2 tsps. Olive oil, 2 tsps. honey and 3 teaspoons of fresh yoghurt.
- Start by combining all ingredients except the coconut oil in a bowl.
- Mix till you achieve a medium consistency (if it’s too runny, more honey can be added to thicken it.
- Next, apply this mixture all over your scalp as well as on your hair from the root to the tip.
- Massage your scalp gently as you do this to promote blood circulation and pore unclogging.
- After you massage for at least a good 10 minutes, let the mixture stay on your head for 45 minutes.
- After that, rinse out the mixture using a shampoo (preferably an herbal one).
- Dry your hair and apply coconut oil to the scalp.
Honey’s anti- microbial properties help inhibit dandruff, coconut mimics hair’s natural proteins and helps eliminate dandruff that can damage the hair roots.
Banana and Apple Cider Vinegar pack:
You will need 1 whole ripe banana and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Peel and throw the banana in a blender and add the apple cider vinegar.
- Blend till it forms a smooth paste.
- Next, apply the paste all over the scalp and hair.
- Put on a shower cap and let the mixture sit on your head for about 20 minutes.
- Next rinse your hair with warm water.
- Do this treatment at least once a week to effectively tackle dandruff.
Bananas are rich in Vitamin B and potassium that hep blood circulation in the scalp and promote healthier scalp skin. Apple cider vinegar is known for its anti-fungus and germ killing properties. Together they can work wonders for your dandruff issue.
Baking soda dandruff buster:
You will need 1 tablespoon of baking soda and the juice of a whole lemon.
- Start by rinsing your hair. You have to make sure your hair is soaking wet before you begin this treatment.
- Next, mix the baking soda and the lemon together and apply it to your scalp using your fingertips.
- Try to avoid applying it to the length of your hair.
- Leave it for just 60 seconds and then rinse thoroughly with water.
- If your scalp has scratches because of dandruff, you can skip lemon and mix baking soda with your favourite shampoo instead.
- Do this treatment once a week till you see visible difference.
- Be careful not to leave the mixture on your hair for longer than prescribed time or you may risk drying out your hair.
Baking soda makes for a mild exfoliator that helps remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and eliminate excess oil. Lemon will help clear excess oil too along with inhibiting overactive fungi that causes dandruff.
Tea tree oil rescue:
You will just need your favourite shampoo and some organic tea tree essential oil for this one.
- Make sure you scalp and hair are completely dry before application.
- Mix the quantity of shampoo that you regularly use along with a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Rub the shampoo into your scalp and then let the mixture stay on your head for 5 minutes before rinsing out.
- You can use this treatment daily or as often as you shampoo till the dandruff is gone.
With a high rate of dermal penetration and excellent anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties, tea tree oil makes for an ideal choice for dandruff reduction. What’s more! Tea tree oil is a proven anti septic too. So no more infected and painful scalp.
Cedar wood oil potion:
You will need 7 drops of cedar wood essential oil , 10 drops of cypress oil, 10 drops of essential oil, 50 ml of coconut or any other carrier oil.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl one at a time and mix well.
- Apply the mixture into your hair and scalp and secure your hair in a shower cap.
- Wait for about an hour and then shampoo.
- Then once again combine the essential oils with 600 ml of water and use the mixture as a final rinse.
- Your hair will be both itch free and glossy.
Cedar wood oil has anti- seborrheic properties and combined with other oil, it becomes even more potent in fighting dandruff and skin inflammations.
Fenugreek seeds solution:
You will need 2 tsps. of fenugreek seeds, 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water.
- Start off by soaking the fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Once they are soaked plump, grind it to a paste along with the water they were soaked in to form a paste.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with this paste and then liberally apply and massage all over your scalp.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes before you wash it off.
Fenugreek seeds are treasure trove for nicotinic that not only curbs dandruff but also hair fall. The lecithin present in these wonder seeds help hydrate the scalp reducing the risk of a dandruff relapse.
There you go! Getting rid of dandruff is simpler and easier than it seems. Go natural and you will be pleased with the results. Keep in mind however, that if all treatments fail and if you see excessive dandruff and red inflammations on your scalp, you must consult your dermatologist.