Monotony sucks the spice out of life. Be it your work or your hair color, a hint of variety is the surest way to spice things up a little. Though it is a very good idea to dye your hair a new color, the color selection process, the dyeing process, and the maintenance that needs to follow may all seem quite difficult. To help you simplify the said processes, we came up with the following article to safely guide you towards a stunning new look. Dive straight in!
Why color my hair at all?
One important thing to clarify here is that the decision to color your hair is yours alone. If you choose to color your hair, you are giving yourself an opportunity to enhance your look and to re-frame the way people see you.
How do I choose the best color for me?
Experts suggest two important factors to consider while choosing your hair color: Your skin tone and eye color. Light shades are said to suit light skinned, light eyed people while dark shades are supposed to go well with dark skinned people. This only serves as a rule of thumb and not everything to go by.
We suggest you to carry an image of the look you desire to your stylist. This can help you receive professional advice on its feasibility and the effort that goes into its maintenance.
What are my options for Hair Color?
The following is a list of a range of shades handpicked to help you thoroughly consider all your options:
Warm Reds Hair Color
- Bright Copper: It is a lively and intense shade of orangish-red that shines like copper. It is a good choice if you have fair, peach colored or golden-toned skin.
- Ginger Red: It is a light or medium reddish brown shade that is the closest to natural red hair. It is a great choice if you have a fair skin tone and brown or green eyes.
- Copper Highlights: If you have dark red hair, highlight your hair with this shade to make your hair look brighter and shinier. This best suits people with fair or golden skin and eyes of the green, brown or hazel shades.
- Light Auburn: This is a blend of light golden red and light brown. It goes beautifully with creamy, peach, or golden skin tones. Blue, green or warm brown eyes serve as a perfect complement.
- Medium Auburn: This is a mix of medium golden red and medium brown shades. It goes very well with a light skin tone and blue, green or warm brown eyes.
- Golden Copper: This shade is a combination of dark golden blonde and light red hues. This is perfect choice if your skin tone is porcelain, peach, golden or neutral, and if you have blue, green, hazel or brown eyes.
- Red Copper: It is a bright mix of red and brown/orange shades. It perfectly complements fair, peach colored or golden toned skin and blue, green or hazel eyes.
- Dark Auburn: This shade is a blend of deep golden red and warm brown. It goes wonderfully well with peach-colored, golden or bisque skin tones and blue, green, brown or hazel eye colors.
Cool Reds Hair Color
- Red Mahogany: It is a deep, reddish brown color. It’s a good choice for people with fair or medium cool skin tone and green, blue or brown eyes.
- Cherry brown: Cheery brown is a blend of rosy res and deep brown. It matches people with light skin tone and brown eyes.
- Intense Red: This is a deep, intense shade of red. If you have a deep golden complexion and brown eyes, this one is for you.
- Rose Gold: Rose gold is a coppery pink shade that perfectly suits people with porcelain, tan or olive skin tones and all eye colors.
- Burgundy: It is a dark violet red color that makes a stunning impression. If you have dark or olive-toned skin and brown or blue eyes, this is a great choice.
- Black Cherry: It is a rich, deep blue black shade with a hint of red. Choose this if you have dark skin and brown eyes.
- Red Velvet: If you ever had red velvet cakes you know this color. It is a rich, cool, red shade that goes well with dark or olive skin tone and blue, brown or emerald eyes.
- Ruby Red: It is a clear, deep, red shade that goes well with pale porcelain complexion and light blue or green eyes.
- Red Black: It is a very deep shade and is a combination of dark red and black. Choose this if your skin is dark or olive and if you have green or brown eyes.
- Aubergine Red: This is a deep purplish color like the skin of eggplant. This only suits people with cool skin tones and cool or neutral eye color.
- Red Violet: It is a blend of red and purple colors. If you have a dark complexion and dark eyes, this is a great choice for you.
- Magenta: It is a deep purplish shade that goes perfectly with medium to dark skin tones and dark eyes.
What else should I know about hair coloring?
- Do not shower before getting your hair dyed: Washing your hair just before getting your colored will wash away natural oils from the scalp. These oils are needed to act as a barrier between your scalp and the dye. Washing them away might expose your scalp directly to the color.
- Change to a color preserving shampoo: Shampoos contain harsh chemicals such as sulphates that can strip your hair off its color. Opting for a color-preserving shampoo is a vital step to ensure that your color lasts for a longer time.
- Follow a regular moisturizing routine: Hair colors contain chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide that can rob your hair off its moisture. This can lead to dry and damaged hair. Moisturize your hair at least once a week to restore its shine and natural texture. You can also use hair repair masks for better results.
- Stay away from the pool: Pool water contains chlorine which can enter the hair shaft and alter your hair color. For a couple of weeks after you get your hair dyed, restrain from swimming in pool or ocean water. If you cannot, applying coconut oil before diving in is also a good step.
- Use hair styling tools sparingly: Using hot hair styling equipment like curling rods or straighteners might weaken your hair and cause damage. Try to avoid hair styling products as much as possible. Whenever you do, try to use a heat protecting spray/gel.
- Use Color Oops if necessary: If you are absolutely unhappy with the result of your hair coloring experiment, you can use products like ‘Color Oops’ that can totally remove hair color. However, if you are even slightly unsure about it, taking expert assistance is a better course of option.
Follow these simple tips to give yourself a brand new look that is sure to turn some heads. If you are still doubtful about your color choice, consult your nearest expert. Though it is expensive, taking expert guidance can save you from all the trouble and possible accidents.
Until next time, we wish you lots of luck and a stunning new look!