Athletic shoes are probably the most vital thing a runner/athlete owns. The importance of a good pair of athletic shoes cannot be emphasized enough. So, before you invest in any fancy gadgets or equipment, invest in a good pair of athletic shoes. In the recent times, athletic shoes have become more dynamic and free-form than ever. With a cornucopia of new-fangled features available, such as second skin uppers and cushioned mid soles, it is difficult to zero in on that perfect pair without feeling like you need an advanced degree in it.
Let us help you alleviate the stress of the choosing process. Here’s everything about best athletic shoes for men that you should know about!
Here’s why good shoes are super important:
- Gives you optimum knee, shin, and spine support helping you maintain a good posture.
- Prevents injuries, sores, and blisters.
- Gives you a snug and perfectly comfortable fit tailored to your feet. Comfortable feet = improved performance.
Here’s is what you should absolutely do before buying your own pair of athletic shoes:
- Understand your foot. Did you know there are different ‘types’ of feet? Yes we do! To understand your type, wet your feet and step on a flat surface. Now study the imprint. If it is wide and flat with almost no arch showing, you have flat feet. If you have a very noticeable arch on one side of the foot, you have high arched feet, and if the footprint has a bit of both arch and flatness, then you have a normal feet. The level of pronation (natural rolling of feet from heels to toes) when you are walking or running depends on your feet type.
- If you have normal feet, choose shoes that offer great stability- Good padding, good ankle and shin support, and a lightly curved shape.
- If you have an over pronation, choose motion controlled athletic shoes. These shoes are rigid and straight and prevent over rolling of the foot. By curbing your foot’s natural tendency to over pronate, it will improve its performance.
- If you have an under pronation, choose shoes that offers extra support and slight motion control. It’s important that your shoes should be optimally cushioned so that it absorbs shock and prevents you from hitting the floor harder.
- Don’t buy just one pair of shoes if you multitask. Walking shoes and running shoes offer different cushioning and support tailored to the activity. If you do both, you better have one pair for each.
- Have your feet measured just before buying a shoe. If you are under the impression that your foot size does not change if you are an adult, you are wrong. It does! Also, sizes vary slightly between brands, so don’t just go by the number, choose what fits best.
- Always carry a pair of socks or orthotics that you wear while running, along with you. Your shoes should fit snugly after you wear them.
- “Breaking in’ is hogwash. Don’t buy a pair that isn’t ‘properly’ comfortable thinking it will eventually be. Your shoes should feel comfortable right away. Write that down.
- Always remember, there should always be thumb width between the front of your big toe and the end of your shoe, the heels shouldn’t slip when you walk, and you should be able to comfortable wiggle your toes when you have your shoes on.
- The groovy features that shoes possess (that look like they’ve been made for a space mission) do serve special purposes most times. Inserts and gel, Freon, or air fillings provide extra shock absorption. However, these kind of shoes are often not good for people who are prone to ankle twists.
- Good athletic shoes are pricey. Admit it. A 20 dollar shoe will not be as good as a 100 dollar one. Convince yourself that this is an important investment that will affect your health and well-being. If you are still concerned about over spending, don’t invest in those super fashionable shoes or those associated with celebrities to avoid paying a premium.
Here’s a lowdown on 7 best athletic shoes for men you could lay your hands (feet) on:
Reebok Z-Pump fusion running shoes:
This one has a seamless compression sleeve that gives you the comfort of a sock. It pumps airs up the sleeve so as to offer extra comfort and fit. With a 10mm midsole, these goody shoes are best suited to moderate heel-first strikers. Buy here.
Asics Men’s Gel-Quantum 180 Running Shoes:
This one is probably one of the best offerings from ASICS. It has some serious gel cushioning technology built into the upper portion of the gel Quantum seamlessly. With discrete construction and a full length trusstic system, this shoe is designed for high performance. Buy here.
On Cloud flyer Running Shoes:
This one is impressively lightweight despite being power packed. The mesh and PU material keep the debris out while maintaining a comfortable temperature in the shoe. The Cloudec technology used offers superior cushioning during the foot strike and firm hold for a good toe off. The honeycomb traction pattern in the shoe offers a reliable grip each time. This one’s best suited for over pronators that are looking for superior cushioning and stability. Buy here.
Nike Men’s Air Zoom Odyssey Running Shoes:
These super shoes are built for speed whether you are intending high sprints or long distance running. The cushioning technology allows the shoe to spring back quick owing to pressurised air combined with internal fibres. It also offers superlative stability and pronation slowing mechanism. The heel clip support and the breathable material contribute to the comfort of this wonderful shoe. Buy here.
Hoka One One Men’s M Speedgoat Running Shoes:
Just like goats who are the masters of the mountains, these specialists running trainers offer kick ass multi terrain support. It has a rubber toe cap for protection and a no sew construction for better comfort and fit. The balance meta- rocker geometry makes these shoes ankle friendly while the trail- specific outsole ensures full stability. Buy here.
Brooks Glycerin 13 Running Shoes:
This one comes with a cushioning like none. With the new Super DNA Midsole design, adaptable material for adjustable cushioning, this shoe is a winner. It also has Ideal Pressure Zone technology that creates an outsole so as to distribute pressure evenly from the heel to the fore foot. This not only gives excellent stability but also allows you to do better body alignment. With 3D print design and great color combinations, this shoe looks as good as it feels. Buy here.
Adidas Climachill Cosmic Boost Running Shoes:
This one has all the best features of the adidas running shoe range cherry picked and fitted seamlessly. It provides perfect comfort in those long hot runs thanks to its breathable material thanks to the ClimaChill technology that uses perforated fabric offering ventilation and quick drying. Cushioning midsole technology and grippy outsoles along with a bootie construction makes this shoe truly desirable. Buy here.
There you go! Pick a pair that suits you most. Once you invest in a good pair of shoes, you will regret not making the decision earlier and see the ‘noticeable’ difference in your performance. Why nurse shin splints and aching heels when the best of technology is available to make running easier and better than ever before?