Our hair is our crowning glory. Healthy, beautiful and lustrous hair enhances beauty and sex appeal. No one wants thinning hair and balding patches right at the threshold of thirties which now has become very common by the way. Modern age and the stress that it has brought with it have contributed majorly to hair dilemmas.
A woman goes through a lot of change physically and mentally during her lifetime and these changes can cause unusual hair fall.
What are the common causes of hair fall?
- Use of heat tools such as straighteners and curlers and harsh chemical rich colors, sprays and gels that can potentially damage the hair shaft, making it brittle.
- Using wrong combs, having fixed partings and frequently tying hair in tight ponytails.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome wherein there is an over production of male hormones (androgens) in the body that can cause hair growth on the body and hair loss from the scalp.
- Inadequate folic acid, iron, or hemoglobin in the body resulting in weak hair follicles.
- Post pregnancy hormone restoration. During pregnancy, oestrogens peak in the body. Hence end of pregnancy results in hair falling out in locks.
- Inadequate consumption of protein. When our body does not receive enough protein, it starts depleting from our body making hair brittle and weak hair falls prematurely.
- Birth control pills and other hormonal pills and therapies when stopped abruptly, can also lead to excessive hair fall.
- Crash dieting in the bid to lose weight can cause sudden weight changes and adversely affect hair growth.
- Other medical conditions such as improper functioning of the thyroid gland, autoimmune disease, and scalp psoriasis.
Remember, shedding 50-100 strands of hair a day is normal, but anything beyond that for a period of time can cause hair loss and hence should be treated promptly. If you have a medical condition, consult a doctor immediately and start treatment before it’s too late for your hair. If not, here are a few tips to prevent hair fall:
- Always use a wide toothed comb to detangle hair before using a fine toothed one to style hair. This will reduce hair breakage while combing.
- Avoid combing hair while it’s still wet. Wet hair is more vulnerable to breakage and damage.
- Avoid rubbing hair vigorously with towel after shower. Just soak out moisture and let it air-dry to prevent hair breakage and splits.
- Maintain proper hair hygiene. Use clean combs and disinfected towels only. A dirty scalp is a clogged scalp and a clogged scalp means more hair fall.
- Massage your scalp every day. Use conditioning oils such as those of almond, coconut, and olive, and massage scalp. Massaging improves blood circulation in the scalp that arrests hair fall and promotes new hair growth. Also oils will provide deep nourishment to hair making it strong and less prone to damage.
- Avoid using shampoos and conditioners that contain sulphates, silicone, and parabens. Harsh chemicals damage hair and are a sure shot way to hair loss.
- Maintain a nutritionally well balanced diet to have stronger and more resilient hair. Include zinc, protein, Omega- 3 fatty acids and Vitamin E in your daily diet.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water through the day to promote growth of healthier hair.
Once you have started following the tips, you can use a little help from simple homemade masks that will restore your hair’s strength and arrest hair fall effectively.
Here are a few fool-proof natural remedies for Treating hair fall:
Green tea and egg mask for treating hair fall:
- You will need an egg yolk (preferably from free range hen) and 2-3 tbsps. of freshly prepared green tea.
- Whisk the egg yolk in a bowl while slowly adding the green tea till it turns frothy and creamy in consistency.
- Part your hair and apply this mask to your scalp.
- Keep parting and applying till the entire scalp area is covered.
- Put on a shower cap and let the mask sit on your scalp for at least 30 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
- Use this hair mask at least twice daily to put an end to your hair fall woes.
Egg yolks are packed with proteins and essential vitamins and hence strengthen the existing hair while the antioxidant rich green tea helps boost new growth.
Oil treatment for treating Hair fall:
- You will need 50 ml each of almond oil, coconut oil, and castor oil along with 5ml of Aroma magic stimulate oil and 3 Vitamin- E capsules.
- Combine all the oils together in a bowl.
- Next, cut open and squeeze the Vitamin E capsules into the mixture.
- Store the mixture in a glass container with an airtight lid.
- Massage the oil potion into your scalp once every alternate day for 10 minutes.
- Leave it overnight and wash off the next morning with a mild shampoo.
You will notice a marked difference within few days of using this treatment.
Coconut milk nourishment mask for treating hair loss:
You will need one fresh coconut.
- Grate the coconut and squeeze out its milk.
- Apply the fresh milk to the scalp and hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cap and wash hair with bearably cold water.
- Do this treatment once a week.
Coconut milk, rich in Vitamin E, deeply conditions hair shafts. It also contains potassium, that aids hair growth, and anti-bacterial properties that prevent scalp infections and resultant hair fall.
Indian gooseberry mask for Treating hair fall:
- You will need 5 gooseberries and 1 cup of organic cold pressed coconut oil.
- Start off by drying out the gooseberries in the sun.
- Next, combine the dry goose berries and the oil in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Continue boiling till the gooseberries turn black.
- Leave the mixture to cool before applying it to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
- Follow this method once every fortnight and you will be surprised with the results.
Indian gooseberries are rich in Vitamin C which is a vital nutrient for hair growth. Vitamin C not only helps build collagen that strengthens hair, but also helps absorb iron that helps keep your locks healthy.
Greek yoghurt and honey mask for treating hair fall:
- You will need 2-3 tbsps. of fresh, thick Greek yoghurt, 1 tbsp. of honey and the juice of one lemon.
- Mix all ingredients in a container till they form a smooth paste.
- Use a hair dye brush to apply the paste to the scalp and hair roots.
- Leave the mask on for 20 minutes and then thoroughly rinse with lukewarm water.
- Use this pack once a week if you have normal to oily hair and twice if you have dry hair.
Greek yoghurt is a natural hair conditioner containing Vitamin B5 and protein, both of which promote healthier hair. Honey, a humectant keeps the scalp hydrated while protecting it from infections.
Chinese hibiscus mask for treating hair fall:
- You will need 10-12 Chinese hibiscus flowers and 2 cups of organic cold pressed coconut oil.
- Heat the coconut oil and add the flowers to it.
- Boil the oil till the flowers are charred, and then strain the mixture.
- Use this oil every night on your scalp before going to bed and wash off the following morning to bid goodbye to hair fall.
Chinese hibiscus is a rich source of Vitamin C, phosphorous, and riboflavin, all of which promote the health of hair. This flower also has potent toxin-removing properties which help eliminate dandruff and infections and enhance hair growth.
Potato and honey mask for treating hair fall:
- You will need 1 large potato, 1 tsp. honey and 1 tsp. water.
- Peel and blend the potato first.
- Next, strain the fresh potato puree in a muslin cloth to extract the juice.
- Combine the juice with honey and water and apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Repeat this treatment once a week to have healthy, strong locks that are less prone to breakage and falling.
Lemon juice mask for treating hair fall:
- You will need the juice of 3 lemons and 1 cup of warm water.
- Use this treatment immediately after you’ve washed your hair.
- Combine the water and the lemon juice and pour the warm mixture on your head.
- Gently massage your scalp for 3 minutes.
- Leave the mixture on the hair for another 5 minutes and then wash it off with cool water.
- Do this twice a week and notice drastically reduced hair fall.
Lemons, being excellent astringents, tighten pores and hence control hair fall. Also its alpha- hydroxy acid content helps exfoliate dead skin cells from the scalp, thereby unclogging the scalp and promoting new growth.
There you go!
Use these effective remedies to help regain your hair’s lost glory. Also remember, that your scalp and hair are much like a garden. How plants grow has as much to do with what goes about ‘underground’ as above the ground.
So eat well, exercise, and reduce the amount of stress you take.
Here’s to healthy and happy hair.